Why a Mentor is Critical and How to Find OneMay 19, 2022
Success is easier and faster with a mentor.
Maybe you want the satisfaction of pursuing your dream alone. Or maybe you’re embarrassed to reach out to a potential mentor or don’t even know where to begin looking.
Whether you want to master the piano, create a popular blog, or build a billion-dollar business, a mentor can smooth and expedite the process.
Consider these reasons why a mentor could be critical to your success:
- Mentors know people that matter. Mentors know people that can be helpful on your journey.
- For example, let’s suppose you want to be a movie star. The right mentor will know successful actors, directors, writers, producers, and other people in the entertainment business.
- If you want to attend graduate school in the biological sciences, a good mentor will know successful scientists in academia and industry and people on admissions committees.
- Mentors know what matters. A mentor has done what you want to do or is at least an expert on what it takes to be successful. Consider that many of the world’s greatest coaches weren’t necessarily successful themselves as players. However, they know how to make others successful.
- Mentors help you to avoid mistakes. Mistakes slow progress.
- There are different types of mistakes, such as: working on something that doesn’t matter, failing to give something the proper priority, doing the wrong thing, or doing the right thing improperly.
- Mentors direct your focus, so you can avoid mistakes. They also help to correct your mistakes.
- In some instances, your mentor might push you to be patient and slow down.
These strategies can help you find a mentor that’s right for you:
- Be clear on what you want and what you’re looking for. What is your goal? Is it to be a pianist? What type of pianist? Do you want to teach, record, tour the world? What are you trying to accomplish?
- What do you want your mentor to do for you? What type of personality do you mesh with well? Whom do you respect in that field?
- Ask around. Finally, you can make a productive use for social media. You’d be surprised who your social circle knows. You never know whose cousin’s wife’s brother is a neurosurgeon or runs a zoo. You have potential access to far more people than you realize.
- Do research. Set a goal to find the ideal mentor and start looking for them. They are out there somewhere.
- Make contact. Many people would love to have someone to mentor, but it has to be the right person. Contact potential mentors and show them that you’re worth their time and effort.
- Look right in front of you. REALWISE/The Dessauer Group has some great programs if you’re and entrepreneur or investor.
What would having a mentor do for you in your quest to advance your skills and your life? Imagine having an expert to guide, teach, and provide constructive criticism. A mentor can save years of wasted time and effort. All you have to do is define your objectives and begin searching for a mentor that can help you meet those objectives.
”Wealth has nothing to do with money, success has everything to do with failure, and life is as simple as you make it!” -John Dessauer
Like our blogs? Stay connected to the new blogs that come out and other business and real estate news !
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared or sold (who would do that anyways...)!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.